Monday 24 August 2009

A GrAnD - mOnEy DoNt CoMe FoR FrEE?

I have just sold a couple of Banksy prints and have got paid in cash!! how old fashioned. I should be happy but I can't escape the feeling of loss. The prints I have sold for nearly £1500 cost me £180!! I should be jumping up and down! But, I still remember the first time I saw the Napalm print in 2004 in the Observer and thought 'what the fuck' that is amazing. I then researched Banksy and bought his artwork before he became mega famous. The Flag print I had to queue up for overnight in London. Al the money from the print went to help with eye operations in Africa. Limited edition print of 1000 = £100,ooo pounds in one morning..nice one Mr B!! :-D
Anyway, the point of this!! I get paid a fair salary as a lecturer but I don't actually physically see real money of this amount anymore. It just gets paid into an account. You don't physically see money in such amounts these days. When I first started working I got paid in cash every week, I was always skint by Tuesday!!lol! To actually handle money of this quantity felt quite odd! Where should I hide it? I couldn't get to the bank until Monday!Under the bed?I felt like a bit of a drug dealer with a wad of cash!! lolol!! It made me feel uncomfortable..a bit like when you lose your mobile phone..I feel much safer these days with plastic..except when somebody might hack your account or steal your I.D. from the bin!!! I felt rich for all of 10 minutes before I looked at my overdraft!! Like a big red monster it swallowed it, except for a couple of treats maybe. It would be stupid and naive of me to think that money doesn't make life easier etc..but it's far from everything and I am glad I have a career and ethos that doesn't revolve around money. :-Dx

No comments:

Post a Comment