Wednesday 19 August 2009

EurEkA mOMEnTs - StEphEn HaWkiNg


I have been reading about Stephen Hawking and his theories. Hawking is known to have used mental pictures in order to gain insight into the surface area of black holes. What started as a esoteric problem in black hole dynamics, eventually led to one of the greatest discoveries in physics. He visualised in his mind that the surface area of a black hole can never decrease, by considering the paths of light rays hovering just at the event horizon of two black holes. This idea came into his mind as he was getting into bed. He had a EUREKA moment!


Theory: The rays of light that form the event horizon, the boundary of the black hole, can never approach each other. Consequently, the area of the event horizon(i.e. the black hole surface) might stay the same or increase with time, but it could never decrease. Otherwise, it would mean that at least some of the rays of light in the boundary would have to be approaching each other..which is not possible!!!!


I quite like the idea of EUREKA moments...maybe not as significant as Stephen Hawking but I think you can apply eureka moments to your life. Where you have made a decision or done something that has changed your life!! I can think of three;


1) Going to see New Order at Preston Guild Hall
2) Deciding to go to University as a mature student
3) Travelling around the world


I think I have had the third one this week but I am not sure yet?? The two eureka moments I have had may not seem that significant to other people but these events have both had massive impacts on my life and have changed the direction of it without a shadow of a doubt! I am going to ask people I know to tell me about their eureka moments. I think it will be really interesting to find out what people consider their eureka moments!!! I think this could be a new project!! Who turned my light on.. crazy days!! :-Dx




No comments:

Post a Comment