Friday 9 October 2009

tHE XX @ sOCIAL nOTTINGHAM 7/10/09






The XX
Before I heard the band play any music I read that they were a cross between The Cure, Massive Attack and Portishead!! So automatically I was fascinated!! I wasn't disappointed! I love the album and the thought of seeing them in the Social excited me, lots and lots! I have seen them once before at Leeds Festival but it was mid afternoon hungover slot so didn't really concentrate that much.

The Support band were pretty average - The Trailer Trash Tracys - Mmmm? Like the Eurythmics without the rhythm! I needed something special  to stop me drifting off into a Red Stripe Haze. The XX's came on and the whole venue went into what can only be described as an intense silence of expectation.
They have roughly one album's worth of tunes, 40 mins long and then they do a cover version, usually Teardrops by Womack and Womack. The time flew by as they went through the album in virtual order. Highlights for me were Crystalised, VCR, Islands and Teardrops.

The Social was an ideal venue for their intimate and minimilistic sound. Combined with barely any lighting it created an extraordinary electrically charged atmosphere which I had never experienced before at a gig in the Social. This was my fifth gig in 7 days but definitely one to remember. A 9/10 night :-D
Go and see this band before they get big!! I am not sure how well their sound will transfer to big venues? This issue I discussed with someone who turned out to be the Lead singer of the XX's girlfriend! Whoops!! She wasn't impressed but hey we are all entitled to our opinions! I did tell her also that I loved the album and the gig!! The band signed the poster for me and I bought ANOTHER t-shirt!!
Checkout SUBCULTUREART TV on Youtube for some of the footage of the gig I recorded.


No comments:

Post a Comment