Tuesday 28 July 2009

GiRLfRiEnD iN A CoMa

This is one of my all time favourite books! By probably my favourite author. I was fortunate enough to meet him when he visited Nottingham for a book signing event at the Broadway Cinema where he did a reading from his new book J Pod. I got a brief chance to chat to him and we discussed..The Smiths..not his books which I love!! lol!! The book is about a girl called Karen who falls into a coma and then reawakens 17 years later! I could go into lots of detail but you should read the book :-D I think Couplands philisophical outlook on life, which is reflected in his books, is fascinating, thought provoking and relevant. His book GenerationX inspired me to go to university. Whenever I read one of his books it always makes me think about my life and the world we live in. I love this quote by Coupland "Comas really are peculiar only to the late 20th century. Before, say, 1960, people who might have gone into a coma simply died. Comas are more modern than plastics or TV. I like the notion that comas can allow a person to radically reinvent themselves upon awakening. I think we all want to do that -- radically reinvent ourselves -- I think it's our deepest need." Imagine what it would be like to decide to go into a coma and wake up in say 10 years to see what the world would be like???

No comments:

Post a Comment