Wednesday 11 November 2009

Inspirational Poets of the First World War



I think that the poetry of World War One is unsurpassable...
I chose to study it in depth at university.
Just close your eyes and listen to the words..
The imagery is so vivid and horrendous but truely amazing!
Two of my favourites are Sassoon and Owen.
I have picked a selection.







I feel that Rupert Brooke is also very relevant.
This poem was written before the start of the war
Romantic visons of dying for one's country.
The excitement and the adventure that the soldiers thought they were going on.
Juxtapose this with the reality of the poetry of Sassoon and Owen.
The time line of the poetry tells the story of World War One.



Finally, one of my favourite TV shows of all time BlackAdder Goes Forth..
Finding humour in suffering!
Sometimes it's the best way to get a message across!!

No comments:

Post a Comment